Children and teachers evacuated Hawthorn School for a brief time  Friday morning and what was first thought to be a natural gas leak, turned out to be a sewer gas leak instead.

School authorities notified the City of Missoula, who sent workers out to check the problem. School District One public relations director Leslie Brasfield says students were able to return to class before 9 a.m., and only one classroom was closed off because of the sewer odor.

Brasfield says no one was injured, and very little classroom time was lost because of the incident.

MCPS Public Affairs Director Leslie Brasfield