Festival of the Dead Parade
The 19th Annual Missoula Festival of the Dead Parade will be on Wednesday, November 2, 2011 @7pm on Higgins Ave.
Members of the community are welcome to participate in the parade, as well as take in the numerous arts events surrounding it. The uniquely-Missoula parade includes people in costume, musical groups, people bearing shrines, photos, remembrances of beloved people, pets, even events that have impacted their lives. The parade starts at 7pm at the Red XXX's, moves down Higgins Ave., and ends at Caras Park, where everyone can view the Missoula Mandala Project and performances. Look for updated info on the Missoula Festival of the Dead Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missoula-Festival-of-the-Dead/185808874818324#!/pages/Missoula-Festival-of-the-Dead/185808874818324 ) or call 541-7171 for more information.
19th Annual Festival of the Dead 2011 Schedule
- Wednesday, November 2
- 10am-6pm: Missoula Mandala Project at Caras Park--Open to the Public: Help create a large, dyed-sawdust mosaic.
- 3-6p: Zombie Walk: with live djs, benefit for Missoula Food Bank
- 6:00pm: Pre-parade performances at Circle Square include: Djebe Bara and the Northside Gringo Allstars, University of Montana Dance Improvisers, and the Hypsy Gypsies
- 7:00pm: Festival of the Dead Parade starts at Circle Square participants should line up on East Alder St. (next to the old locomotive) starting at 6:15pm and be in place at 6:45pm! Parade highlights include: UM Printmakers Steamroller Prints and the Soulaphone brass band, UM/VSA New Visions Dance Class, Missoula Public “Diebrarians” Book Cart Drill Team, Stevensville High School Spanish Club, Zombie Jayann and dancers with a Michael Jackson tribute, Dead Debs, members of Tamarack Grief Resource Center,UM dance majors doing a Michael Jackson tribute Montana Natural History Center’s Plant Skeleton Crew,UM dance majors doing a Michael Jackson tributeand ?????
- 7:30-8:30pm: Post-parade performances at Caras Park include: UM African Dance Class and Unity Dance and Drum
- All events are FREE and open to the public (unless otherwise noted)!!
Cultural Events Related to the Festival of the Dead
- Thursday, November 3: 10am-1pm: Mandala Sweeping Ceremonyat Caras Park. Feel the energy of hundreds of hands and thousands of wishes that were put into the mandala as we sweep the piece away. 11am: Thousand Hands for Peace: Chi Kung prayer and exercise