The ‘Groundhog Day’ Challenge Returns to The Roxy Theater
I almost did this last year. Almost. But I just didn't have the strength. This year, I'm thinking I may give it a shot.
The Roxy's annual Groundhog Day challenge is back - they're showing the classic 1993 Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day eight times in a row... and they want you to sit there for every single one of them. If you do, you'll win free movies and free popcorn for a year at the end of it, which is something that I could desperately use as somebody who spends way too much of his time at The Roxy as it is.
Think you have what it takes? Here's everything you need to know about ticket sales, the rules, and everything else, courtesy of The Roxy's website.
Every Groundhog Day, The Roxy celebrates what just might be the best Groundhog Day film of all time, Groundhog Day, with a comedy endurance test which only the most dedicated (masochistic) fan can pass. This year we're raising the bar and demanding our marathoners endure EIGHT (8) screenings, with 15-minute breaks in between each one. Your $40 grants you entry into the marathon, a sandwich from Bernice's Bakery, unlimited fountain drinks/tea/coffee, and a t-shirt designed by our friend Jack Metcalf. If you can make it through all 8 screenings, you'll win a special Groundhog Day Membership, which grants you free admission and free popcorn to any regular film screening at The Roxy for a year.
TICKETS GO ON SALE 6 AM ON JANUARY 18!
Showtimes start at:
This is always a fun-filled day, but there are a few rules to follow in order to complete the challenge. Being told by any Roxy employee that these rules have been violated will disqualify you from the competition.
1. NO SLEEPING. If you sleep, you're out. If you "rest your eyes" for a period of longer than a few seconds, and we catch you doing it, you're out.
2. All marathon participants must sign in at the theater no later than 8:30 AM. After 8:30 no one can enter the marathon, and if you're not here for the sign-in, you forfeit your participation.
3. You can leave the building between screenings, but do so at your own risk: if you aren't back before the next screening starts, you're out.
4. No bathroom breaks during the screening.
5. No looking at your phone, talking on your phone, reading, game-playing, conversating, etc. during the screenings.
6. By registering for this event your photo may be used in marketing and advertising of the Groundhog Day Marathon, including but not limited to Roxy social media, website, and any third party coverage.
7. The theater will not accept any outside food deliveries.
8. We are capping the number of marathon slots at 90, so if think you have what it takes, sign up ASAP!
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. Be sure you have the time and the fortitude before you enter! Also, to keep things fair, each entrant can only purchase one ticket.
Good luck, and remember:
When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But sitting here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, we couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.