Stay Healthy, Here are 5 Tips to Avoid the Flu
I know that our radio station is not the only office around town that is dealing with germs being spread around. It's about that time of year when people start getting flu shots, and put more effort into making sure they don't get sick. We have already heard that the Flu shot will hopefully be more effective this year, last year the CDC said the flu shot was only about 36% effective.
Yesterday I got home from work and my throat started feeling like sandpaper, so I immediately took some EmergenC and got some rest. I'm feeling back to normal today with just a slight throat scratch but I have already searched online on tips of how to beat the flu. I didn't look at any .com website but found a great resource at kidney.org.
- Get Vaccinated - Even if you hate shots like me, you can do the Nasal "vaccine" spray. While the traditional needle variety is the best way, if you despise needles like I do the nasal spray is an option.
- Wash Your Hands Frequently - Not just as you're leaving the bathroom. Germs are passed every time you touch something, so wash your hands often and/or keep hand sanitizer near by.
- Stay Hydrated & Eat Correctly - Drinking plenty of fluids and eating a balanced diet can really help keep your body healthy and keeps your immune system strong. Drink more H2O.
- Get Exercise - Keeping physically active will help you maintain a better overall health. I would suggest putting a pedometer on your phone and each day challenge yourself to walk more steps than the day before.
- Consider Early Medication - If you hear of the flu virus spreading, there are medications you can take to protect yourself even if you haven't been vaccinated. remember any over-the-counter medication should be approved by your doctor.
The last thing I want is for you to get sick so take these tips seriously so you can avoid having to deal with any illness especially the flu.