Rock Against Racism – September 17th
Rock Against Racism is an awareness and education event to support the YWCA Missoula Racial Justice Program. Rock Against Racism is a FREE event hosted at Caras Park in downtown Missoula, Montana. This year's event will be held on September 17th, 2011 from 4pm-10pm.
6 great bands, food, beer garden, t-shirts, exhibits from local organizations, information and more! Non-profit organizations will be available with information on how you can volunteer your time to make a difference in our community. Face it: racism hurts everyone and one person CAN make a difference. Are YOU that person? Show your support and learn how you can make a difference - get involved! Visit MissoulaRocks.com for more information or RSVP for the event on Facebook.
- 4:00- Skeeterhawk: A unique brand of original music that draws from a vast array of influences, from Blues to Punk to Americana and everything in between. Though best described as 'swampy, southern rock', this badge belies the fact that Skeeterhawk makes haunting melodies and visceral riff-rock to create a sonic landscape that is uniquely their own. With two line-up changes since forming in 2009, founding members Troy Ricciardi and Richard "Dickie" Williamson feel that all the pieces are in place for them to take on the world.
- 5:00- Zeppo MT: An eight piece Rhythm and Blues Band with 3 Horns, 1 Singer, Keyboard, Guitar, Bass and Drums. There’s a New Orleans touch in the mix with the slammin’ Horns, the Piano/Organ man sounding like he has 12 fingers, and a solid funky Bass as the only instrumentation that gives room to the space as well as the notes.
- 6:00- Airstream Safari: Straight ahead instrumental grooves and umprocessed vocals. It is bright and has a hooky type rock and roll sound that makes for a feel good road trip soundtrack. Airstream Safari loves supporting local arts and Missoula culture. They believe rock and roll is the best way of eliminating racism in Montana.
- 7:00- Bird's Mile Home: Began in December of 2007 and hasn't stopped since. This band combines Folk, Country, Punk, and Rock to please listeners around Missoula. Bird's Mile Home believes it is important that there is ongoing education to combate racism.
- 8:00- Baby and Bukowski: A high school acoustic duo, based in Missoula. Baby and Bukowski believes that equal treatment is necessary in any culture.
- 9:00- SICK KIDS XOXO: Rhythm sections drums and bass, augmented by the percussion, create a rock solid foundation from which Sick Kids XOXO build their songs. Adding the contrast of lush keyboards and bright, staccato guitar hooks, the band effortlessly turns every one of their songs into a synthesis of the competing emotions we all relate to. The balance struck by the intertwining vocals of the keyboard and guitar, the epitome of high and low, light and dark, provide the final element of Sick Kids XOXO’s sound.
Rock Against Racism is an important annual event to support the YWCA’s Racial Justice Program as they work within Missoula to attain a common vision of peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all people. It also supports many non-profit organizations with tables at the event to promote volunteerism in our community. There is no admission charge and no one is paid for their time. It is strictly a volunteer effort. 100% of the profit from this event is donated to the YWCA Racial Justice Program to support their efforts of eliminating racism.