Memorial Day Ceremonies Scheduled for Missoula [AUDIO]
There are two primary holidays set aside to honor those who serve our country. One is Veteran’s Day, the other is coming up on Monday, May 27, Memorial Day.
While Veteran’s Day honors all who have served, or are currently serving in the military, Memorial Day is set aside specifically to honor those who gave their lives in service to their country.
Susan Campbell Reneau is the president of the United Veterans Council of Missoula and Ravalli counties. Every year, Reneau is instrumental in orchestrating the ceremonies involved in Memorial Day. Here is the schedule of events for Missoula.
- 10:00 to 10:30 a.m. at the overlook in Caras Park, tossing of the wreath to honor those who died at sea.
- 11:00 to 11:30 a.m. at the Doughboy Statue in front of the Missoula County Courthouse.
- 11:45 a.m. for approximately 15 minutes at the Fort Missoula Military Cemetery
- 12:30 p.m. at the Western Montana State Veterans Cemetery, north of Big Sky High School on Tower Road by the flagpoles.
- 1:15 p.m. at Sunset Memorial Cemetery on Mullan Road for a brief lunch break and re-dedication of the new flag.
- 2:15-2:45 p.m. at the Missoula City Cemetery, St. Mary’s Annex Cemetery and St. Mary’s Cemetery
- 3:00 p.m. at Rose Memorial Park where Montana Senator Jon Tester will assist in placing flowers at each of the 18 memorials within the park.
Flowers for the memorials are being provided by Benson’s Greenhouse. The public is invited and encouraged to attend any and all of the ceremonies on Memorial Day.
United Veterans Council President Susan Campbell Reneau