Which Halloween Costumes Are Selling the Most in Missoula?
A record 170 million people plan to celebrate Halloween this year – and spending on the holiday is expected to rise to $8 billion, up 17.5 percent from last year. The average person will spend about $79.82 on decorations, costumes and candy, up from $72.31 last year.
But what are people in Missoula dressing up the most as this year? Melanie Lerum, manager of Spirit Halloween on Brooks Street, shares her store’s best-selling costumes – the one’s you’ll likely see roaming our local streets this weekend.
- Boys: “We had nearly 25 types of ninja costumes this year, and they’ve sold so well. The boys usually go for the one with their favorite weapon. Rest assured, if Missoula is under attack, we will all be safe.”
- Girls: “The Disney franchise seems to have this on lock. Practically every little girl wants to be a princess.”
- Family: Angry Birds are a new variety of costumes based on the popular app that “the whole family can be a part of.”
- Men: Vampires and zombies seem to be a “year after year hit” at this local Missoula Halloween store.
- Women: 50 Shades of Grey is a “huge hit for the ladies,” something you are sure to see a ton of at the more adult parties. (I’m guessing the area hardware stores are running out of rope as well.)
- Group Costumes: “’80s costume are still very popular, as well as these new ‘morph’ spandex-type suits that cover your entire body, exposing nothing but your body outline in the color of your choice.
- Political: It’s a little known fact that Spirit Halloween stores are able to predict who will win the presidential race just by gauging the amount of costumes sold. As of this week, Romney and Obama are “in a virtual dead heat.”
Just asking: What are you dressing as this Halloween? Were any of these costumes something you planned on wearing?